Monday, August 4, 2008

My Great Day At Lunch

Ever since I became a born-again Christian I had wanted to be a Pastor. I liked the idea of meeting with people, as a spiritual leader, and telling them what to do with there lives. This is what was modelled to me so it is what I thought I needed to be and do. How to pull off the great lunch meeting was what I thought I was being groomed.

Well I realized about a year ago that this was not my calling. This was not what I was cut out to do. It was something that others had put pressure on me to do. Once I realized this all the weight of the world came off my shoulders and I knew it was okay to be myself. It really was.I realized that I did not have to emulate the church culture around me and conform to the expectations of others to be acceptable to God. I am actually a happy person now.

After a year of soul searching, I decided to get back into teaching. Today was my first little rest since I came back since Summer School is over. I went to school with nothing to do but just be a coach and mentor today. I decided to take our star quarterback out to lunch. We just sat and talked about life. No pressure and no religion needed. Just a man who had it rough in some ways and does not want kids to repeat his mistakes, sitting down with a former crack baby that has overcome a great deal talking life and football.

I have been to the most remote places in the world seeking the acceptance of God and the approval of man. But I think God was more pleased today. I really do. I was just being me. The good and the bad. Just me. I also had fun talking to this kid who has potential but needs some direction. He asked for help and I am going to give it to him. I think this is what it is all about. How about you?

No comments: